When was the last time you needed to throw an item out that that won't fit in a normal recycling or general waste bin? Brabantia is here to help you dispose of your bulky waste in a stylish and hassle-free way! Read on for our top tips...
FIRST THINGS FIRST, WHAT IS BULKY WASTE?
Bulky waste refers to items which are too large or heavy to be accepted by regular waste collection. Not every item of bulky waste can be collected. Firstly, ask yourself whether the waste can be broken down manually into smaller more manageable pieces which can then go into the regular disposal. However, even if it is too big for general waste disposal, there are some items which cannot be collected.
WHAT DOES COUNT AS BULKY WASTE?
- Bed frames
- White goods e.g. washing machines, dishwashers, fridges, freezers etc.
- Electrical goods
- Garden waste
WHAT DOES NOT COUNT AS BULKY WASTE?
- Items that are too heavy to move safely
- Dangerous waste such as asbestos
- Waste leftover from building work in your home
- Car tyres
HOW TO DISPOSE OF BULKY WASTE PROPERLY?
- Check with your local council about their bulky waste collection services (often there is a fee for this service).
- If the council won't collect it, check with your local charities to see if your waste could be of use to them, they often have collection services (if it's in working order, of course!).
- Freecycle! Advertise your item online and someone might come and take it away free of charge.
WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BULKY WASTE?
As environmentally aware people, we know you'll care about where your waste goes and it impacts on our planet. Depending on whether your bulky waste is recyclable or not, most local council-run waste removal services will recycle or re-use it where possible to lessen the impact of landfill waste on the environment but it's best to check with the individual provider before you schedule the pick-up.