1. PET – recyclable and commonly used in drinks bottles.
2. HDPE – recyclable and used in stiffer plastic products such as toiletry bottles, toys and milk bottles.
3. LDPE – sometimes recycled but not commonly. Often used for clothing bags, squeezy bottles and shrink wrap.
4. PS – can be recycled and is used for Styrofoam cups, plastic cutlery, packaging and laminate flooring.
5. PP – not usually recycled and used in drinks cartons, nappies, straws and packing tape.
6. PVC – non-recyclable and can be toxic. Used in food wrap, toys, plastic bags and many other everyday products.
7. Other plastics – a category containing all other plastics which are usually not recyclable.