Now that the summer months are in full swing, here are Brabantia and Adam Frost’s top tips for getting the most out of your outdoor spaces, how to get the most out of the senses.
1. Bring the outside in: dry your clothes and sheets outside naturally (as long as it’s not raining), they’ll dry much quicker, smell beautifully fresh and it’s so much better for the environment.
2. Boost your mood: spend time outside whenever possible - soaking up the sunshine, fresh air and scents will boost your mood instantly. Break up the day with a cup of tea outside, hang up your washing or simply relax and enjoy the summer smells around you.
3. Enjoy the doing: hanging out the washing might seem like a chore but it’s a great excuse to be outside soaking up the sun.
4. Build a space you can enjoy: to make the most of any outdoor space, even if you’ve only got a small garden, take the time to make it a space you enjoy spending time.
5. Brighten your whites: if your whites are looking a little tired, hanging them outside could give them the reawakening they need as the sun has a natural, and subtle bleaching effect on whites.
6. Better for the environment, better for your clothes: drying your clothes outside uses up less energy and also reduces air pollution indoors. Not just that, many of our clothes are not made to be tumble-dried and so allowing them to dry naturally will allow many items to look better and last longer.
7. Be positive but be prepared: we all know the British weather isn’t the most predictable but we get some glorious sunshine in summer. Keep an eye on the forecast and try to coincide laundry day with those sunny days but once it’s out keep an eye on the weather and if you’re heading out, just check the sky before you go.
8. Breeze power: as well as the sun having natural bleaching powers, the wind also acts as a natural fabric softener. So you’ll find, when you dry your clothes outside they will feel softer, have less wrinkles and therefore require less ironing.