- 20 Feb 2020
- 5 min.
Tips on finding the ideal dustbin
The choice is vast. From shiny stainless steel to rugged plastic, built-in to loose standing, from pedal to push button and from canary yellow to an elegant grey. So are you feeling a bit overwhelmed? Don't worry, we'll help you in choosing a rubbish bin that is perfect for you.
The first question you should ask yourself when buying a rubbish bin, is how big must it be. Do you have a large family or do you live on your own? That will make a huge difference in the amount of waste your household produces, and the garbage bin you need. You might be thinking: the bigger, the better. But if it's just the two of you, a huge bin won't be such a good idea. If the bag isn't replaced regularly because it isn't full yet, you will soon be faced with bad smells. And a family with four children will soon regret buying a rubbish bin with just a 30 liter volume. So choose a model that suits your household
How many house mates?
You can assume that a waste bin from 10 to 30 liters will suffice for a small family (up to three persons). Those with four in the household, should rather go for a waste bin between 30 to 40 liters and for families with five or more persons, a 40 to 60 liter bin will be ideal.
By the way, this advice on the ideal volume is of course applicable to the rubbish bin in your kitchen. A more compact model is more convenient in the bathroom or in the toilet. A model of up to 10 liters is advisable there. For your study or bedroom, you won't need a bigger content than 30 liters.
- Bo Waste Bin Hi 7L - Platinum£49.95
- Bo Waste Bin Hi 4L - Platinum£39.95
- Bo Waste Bin Hi 7L - Matt Steel Fingerprint Proof£60.00
- Bo Waste Bin Hi 4L - White£39.95
- Bo Waste Bin Hi 7L - White£49.95
Then comes the question: what are your requirements for a waste bin?
Do you simply want to be able to separate the waste? Then take a rubbish bin with two compartments. So you will be able to separate the organic waste from the rest. Would you like to sort even better? Then you should rather buy a rubbish bin with at least three compartments. Plastic, paper and glass are then easily sorted.
And would you prefer not to wake up in the morning with someone smashing the lid down too loud? Rather buy a rubbish bin with a silent closure.
When choosing the material, also consider how often and by whom the bin is used. For example, are there small children whose little hands touch everything? Then you should rather go for a lovely stainless steel waste bin, but make sure the model has a fingerprint-proof coating. This prevents fingerprints of little hands all over the bin.
- Bo Pedal Bin 3 x 11 litre - Soft Beige£175.00
- Bo Pedal Bin 3 x 11 litre - Mineral Concrete Grey£205.00
- Bo Pedal Bin 3 x 11 litre - Matt Steel Fingerprint Proof£195.00
- Bo Pedal Bin 3 x 11 litre - Matt Black£175.00
- Bo Pedal Bin 3 x 11 litre - Platinum£175.00
WAYS OF OPENING THE BIN.
When choosing your rubbish bin, you should also look at the way you want to open the waste bin.
One of the best known is the pedal bin You open the lid with your foot. The advantage is you don't have to open the waste bin with your hands. Very hygienic. You will also have your hands free to throw away the rubbish, and bad smells are kept in check.
Another option is the 'push' system. You just push the cover inwards to open it, which is then pushed back in place afterwards by spring action, shutting the bin properly. Again, you can use both hands to throw the waste away. A bit of a drawback, the waste easily presses against the lid, so those parts become dirty faster.
With a light touch.
With a soft-touch-lid, the waste bin can be opened easily by pressing it lightly. The usefulness of this system lies in that the lid remains open and you can simply throw away several things. This lid also gets dirty faster as it is touched by your hands and the waste.
For bits of paper, bags and cardboard tape rolls, you don't really need a lid on your bin. An open waste bin is convenient and even fun in the study or office. Take careful aim, and you can just pitch the waste in your waste bucket, seated in your office chair.
The choice is huge.
Almost every family used to have a zinc waste bin in the house, these days, there is a lot more variation. For instance, perk up a sleek, modern kitchen with a fire-engine red bin. Prefer the waste bin to blend in with the decor? Then use the same color as that of your kitchen cabinets.
Nowadays, you don't have to hide your waste bin either. There are beautiful designer waste bins that are real gems in your kitchen. There are stylish models on legs that are both very stable and easy to move, and retro waste bins for a fun accent in your interior. There's something for everyone!
- Bo Touch Bin 11 + 23 litre - Mineral Cosy Brown£239.00
- Bo Touch Bin 11 + 23 litre - Mineral Powerful Blue£239.00
- Bo Touch Bin 11 + 23 litre - Soft Beige£187.00
- Bo Touch Bin 11 + 23 litre - Matt Steel Fingerprint Proof£210.00
- Bo Touch Bin 11 + 23 litre - Platinum£187.00
If you have limited place in your kitchen for a waste bin, choose a waste bin fitted inside your kitchen cupboard. This is also an ideal solution for households that want to separate waste: these systems often have multiple partitions. But there isn't space for a large waste bin, and you have to give up a cupboard.
If you want to avoid that, choose a rectangular or semicircular garbage bin. You can place it in a corner or against the wall so it takes up less space than a round model.
- Sort & Go Built-in Bin 2 x 16 litre - Jade Green & Grey£79.00
- Sort & Go Built-in Bin 2 x 12 litre - Jade Green & Grey£70.00
- Built-in Bin 15 litre - White£70.00
- Built-in Bin 15 litre - Brilliant Steel£70.00
- Built-in Bin 10 litre - Black£33.50
THE LAST TIP
Oh yes, one more tip. Our tips will hopefully allow you to find the waste bin that best suits your household and decor. You must however remember when you buy your new model, to also buy the right sized bin liners. It is very frustrating when you want to replace your square bin liner and you find out you bought a roll of bags for a round garbage bin. So look closely at the codes and descriptions on the packaging!
- Compostable PerfectFit Bags Code X (10-12 litre), Roll with 10 Bags£9.25
- PerfectFit Bin Bags For Bo, Code M (60 litre), 6 Rolls with 20 Bags£47.95
- PerfectFit Bin Bags Code H (50-60 litre), 6 Rolls with 20 Bags£47.95
- PerfectFit Bin Bags For FlatBack+, Code L (45 litre), 6 Rolls with 20 Bags£47.95
- PerfectFit Bin Bags For Bo, Code R (36 litre), 6 Rolls with 20 Bags£46.50